Friday, March 8, 2013

Night 66

Hi and welcome back!

Last night it was extremely windy, and I forgot to guy out the front of the tent, which let the fly be blown up about 3 inches above the floor. I then had a hard time sleeping, because this let the strong winds and blowing snow get in the tent and in my sleeping bag.

Snow in the Valley
I was cold in the first place, but once the wind went down my back I felt almost as if I was going to freeze solid. My dad came out at about 5:30 to wake me up, but little did he know that I had been awake for the past 20 minutes.  I don't keep a watch in the tent, and I didn't want to go inside because I was so cold only to learn that it was only 3:00 in the morning.

My dad and I had windy and cold hike today. Once we got up in the woods there was no wind whatsoever which was surprising, because it was blowing at about 15 miles per hour at our house. Our time of 13 minutes 45 seconds was not the best, but I had an excuse because when the winds got fast I stopped and leaned on my trekking pole for a couple of seconds to wait them out.

LRC Hiking in New Snow
A few wet days ago I tried out my new Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters.  Gaiters are coverings for your lower legs that keep dirt and/or snow out of your boots and are water and at parts abrasion resistant.

You would wear gaiters when there's snow on the ground or when the ground is wet or muddy.  Another time that you would wear them is when you have crampons on, so you don't shred your pants.

I really like these gaiters, because you can adjust them so they get really small.  For example, mine are an adult small, and I can adjust them so they fit perfectly.  I also like them because the part that covers my inner leg is Cordura, which is an extra tough material to protect me in case a crampon might hit me.

Here's today's trivia question: In what state is the highest point in North America?

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment