Saturday, March 2, 2013

Night 60

Hi and welcome back!
LRC Ready to Drop in on Widow Maker Last Night

Last night was colder than Thursday night but still sort of warm (low thirties). I fell asleep while I was reading Eiger Dreams with my headlamp still on as bright as it could get. I woke up at about 5:00 this morning and saw that the headlamp was still on and was surprised that its batteries had not died yet.  On that setting it's supposed to last 8 hours, but these are still the original batteries (I got it for Christmas), I've used it almost every night, and it's still going!

I slept in today so my dad and I didn't hike in the morning. Maisy was getting antsy this afternoon so I took her for a hike. As usual I timed myself, and I had a time of 8:38 minutes up. This time was not only a personal best but the best between my dad and me. [Dad says he has to see this in person before he will believe it.]

I hiked again with my dad after dinner.  We were trying to have a sub-12 minute time today and ended up with times of 10:15 (dad) and 10:40 (me).

Today my dad downloaded an app on his phone called Theodolite that gives you your elevation, GPS coordinates, the percent grade of a given slope, and lots of other things.  Theodolites are tools used for surveying (dad didn't know that), and it's amazing to think that an iPod or iPhone can do the same work...for just $3.99!


Antique Theodolite
Theodolite App Screen Shot













We found out that when we hike we gain about 375 vertical feet between home and the top of the hill.  It will be fun to take it on other hikes and see how they compare.

Thank for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment