Saturday, April 13, 2013

Nights 101 and 102

Hi and welcome back!

On Thursday night my dad slept out with me. It was in the 50s, so I slept in the 40 degree bag and I was hot.  My dad came out and crawled into the 20 degree bag with the thermostat lining, and when he woke up he claimed he wasn't hot at all.
Looking for Bears

Yesterday when my dad and I hiked it felt like it could start raining at any moment so I wore a rain jacket over top of my baselayer, whereas my dad just wore a cotton t-shirt. Once we entered the woods it started to drizzle but after a while (in my dad's favor) it stopped. We had an OK time up of about 13 minutes.

Today my dad, my friend A.H., and I hiked on a ridge that is about 15 minutes away from our house. About half way up we remembered that my profile picture for this blog was taken on the same climb! It took us 16 minutes to get up on the ridge, which was a really good time because we gained 700 vertical feet, and almost all of the land that we went over was covered in rocks.  While we were on top I found a little cave under some rocks that I thought would make a great bivouac spot in an emergency.

AJH and LRC Scrambling Up
Tonight I am going to camp out alone on the top of the hill. I am a little worried that I will chicken out and come home, but I doubt that anything like that will happen. 

This week's trivia question is: what is the name of the highest mountain in Europe? I'll give you a hint--it is in Russia.

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Hey LRC, Congrats on surpassing the 100 day mark. The terrain looks rugged. You're lucky to have a spot so close to your house. Looks very similar to the area in which my family hikes and hunts...Happy trails...RJR

    ReplyDelete