Saturday, May 18, 2013

Nights 135 and 136

Hi and welcome back!

The Moose's Tooth - West Ridge Route
First, I have to tell you that a few minutes ago I got an email from Mark Smiley!  I exchanged some emails with him in December after my dad and I saw him speak at the Philadelphia Reel Rock 7 film festival.  He and his wife are in Denali National Park right now, and tomorrow they hope to start their climb of the west ridge of the Moose's Tooth.

Mark and his wife are also in the middle of completing the 50 classic climbs of North America.  You have to go check out their website and read about their project.

I had a lot of trouble sleeping on Thursday night because it was really warm out (at least 70 degrees). I ended up unzipping the 40 degree bag and sleeping underneath it, which was only a tiny bit better than sleeping in it.

Clean at Last
Also on Thursday night my dad and I heard some kind of animal down near the pond calling to another one. It kept us up for about 10 minutes. While it was calling my dad tried to record a couple of seconds of it, but when we listened to it later we could barely hear it. I didn't think it was a big deal, but dad thought it was creepy.

Last night I fell asleep with my headlamp on. When I woke up this morning it was still on which is good because now I don't have to replace the batteries!

Self Portrait
Today my mom FINALLY washed my hat. While she was putting on the clothes line to dry she took a picture of it to text to my dad. In the text she said that it was "nasty no more."

For those of you that are wondering what I look like, I am going to post a caricature of myself that I had to make for art class a few weeks ago.

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. It's so cool that at the end of the year you'll have spent a significant percentage of your life out sleeping in a tent!
    I'm ten days away from a two week Yosemite trip and can't wait to be laying on the ground, watching the stars go by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I'm jealous that you're going to be in Yosemite so soon.

      Delete