Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Nights 223 and 224

Hi and welcome back!

On Sunday night dad and I hiked all the way up the hill, and once again we had a very good time (about 11:40).  I was surprised that I was 10 seconds slower than my best recent time (11:30), because I didn't have a weighted pack on.

Perseid Meteor
The Perseid meteor shower was Sunday and Monday nights, so on Sunday I slept under the stars. I read that the peak would be around 1:00 in the morning, so I set an alarm to wake me up then.  When I woke up there wasn't a cloud in the sky, but I couldn't see any meteors, so I went back to sleep.

I woke up again about 45 minutes later, and somehow in that amount of time it had started to pour. I had the tent up with the fly on, so I quickly ran in there.  I realized that I'd left my sleeping bag out in the rain, but it was already soaked, so I didn't bother going to get it.

It was pretty cold, I was wet, and I had no dry sleeping bag.  To stay warm I laid down in the corner of the tent, and because it wasn't completely staked out, the floor was a little loose.  I wrapped myself in the nylon to save some body heat, and that worked well enough until morning.

I slept outside the tent again on Monday to see the meteors.  I woke up around 1:00 to watch them, but I didn't see any.  At least I stayed dry!

The Perseids aren't yet over, though,  I read in my grandfather's astronomy magazine that they actually go from August 10 to August 24, so there are another 10 days.

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment