Thursday, February 13, 2014

No Mount Washington...

Hi and welcome back!

Because earlier in the week they were predicting snow and wind chills around -50 on the mountain this weekend, we decided to postpone the Mount Washington trip.


Crampon Wound
Before we decided not to go, dad and I were practicing ice axe and crampon techniques on the ice out back.  I accidentally caught one of the secondary points on my left crampon on my right thigh.  It hurt, but I hadn't ripped my pants, so I didn't think it was too bad at first.

After hiking a bit, I noticed that the inside of my pants was wet around where I'd cut it, so I assumed it was bleeding.  When I got home and looked, I saw that there was a cut about an inch long and pretty deep where the point got me.  We didn't tell my mom, but she found out about it later.


Since my last post we've had a few snowstorms, as well as some rain that froze on top of it.  It's made it really hard to hike, because I'm not heavy enough to break through the snow, and I've been kind of afraid to wear my crampons.

Training

We were off school today, and we went sledding with some friends. To train a bit, I was pulling my little brother Jed up the hill.  They've already called off school tomorrow, too!


Thanks for reading!

1 comment: