Wednesday, February 5, 2014

MORE Snow!

Hi and welcome back!

On Monday we got about 4" of snow, and because we were supposed to get more snow last night, I decided to bivy in the back yard.  It was right around 20 degrees overnight, so I slept in the Sierra Designs sleeping bag with the REI bivy and ThermaRest.

It was flurrying when I went out to bed, and by around 1:00 it was a full-on storm.  Since the REI bivy just has mesh over my face, I cinched the sleeping bag down to just a tiny hole and went down as far as I could into the bag.  There was some snow blowing into the hole, and it was melting inside the bag and making me cold.

Every once and awhile it would start getting hard to breathe in the bag, so I would have to open the hole a bit to let fresh air in.  When I did that, snow would blow in.

That went on until about 3:30 in the morning.  It was so uncomfortable I decided to just go inside.  When I went to pull on my mountaineering boots, which were beside the bivy, they were full to the top with snow.  So I left them there and ran in in my socks!

Hiking in New Snow

In all I think we got about 4" of snow and some freezing rain on top.

Around Noon it started to rain.  There was already a thin coating of ice on the snow from the freezing rain, so the rain stayed on top of the snow, and it's supposed to get down into the low teens overnight and single digits tomorrow night, so it's probably going to freeze and be thick enough for us to walk on top with crampons soon.





The other day dad and I were hiking down to the pond when we found a dead raccoon!  It was right underneath a tree, and two of its feet were at odd angles, so we think it fell from the tree, broke its legs (and maybe it's neck).  If you look at the picture you can see the broken legs.


Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Can't stay in the house, eh? I knew it would happen!. You're going to have some adventures in your life, Lyle, guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog mate! I am a vagabond travelling accross Europe at the moment, but I am an avid fisherman, and I would love to visit a nice salmon waters when I am finished in the old continent :)

    I am going to continue to read your blog. If you come accross any good fishing waters, please don't hesitate to share.

    Keep up the good stuff!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete