Thursday, February 20, 2014

My First 5.10!

Hi and welcome back!


Earth Treks

Over the weekend, instead of going to New Hampshire we went to Baltimore. About half an hour away from Baltimore there's a really cool climbing gym called Earth Treks. It has walls that are about 50 feet tall versus about 30 at our local gym.

I started out on a 5.7, which is usually a bit of a challenge on my home gym, but at Earth Treks it was really easy. Right next to it was a 5.9 (which I have never done before), which was also pretty easy.  Next I tried a 5.10b. It was hard, but I made it up!  Finally, I tried a 5.10d which I was unable to do. I'm still psyched that I did some form of a 5.10.
Altoid Survival Kit


I have to thank my sister's friend's friend for the survival kit he made me!  Some of the things it includes are matches, an LED flashlight, fish hooks, a compass, tinder, bandages, it's really cool!  And the whole thing fits in an Altoid tin. I've heard of people using the tins for these kits, but I've never seen one.  Thanks for thinking of me!  I'll definitely take it with me to Mount Marcy and on other climbs and trips in the future.


Next week my dad and I are going backpacking in the Adirondacks with my soccer coaches and a few other people.  One of my coach's friends summitted Mount Everest in 2008, so I can't wait to talk to him about it!  On that trip we're going to climb Mount Marcy, (the highest point in New York State) and a few other peaks.  I'll be sure to tell you all about it.



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment